HISTORY 1836 TO 2004
 
 

Dodworth Brass Band was established on 8th November 1836. It had several different names in its early years (Dodworth Rifle Corps Band,Dodworth Prize Brass Band and Dodworth Auxilliary Fire Service Band) until it became known as Dodworth Miners Welfare Band in 1955 and it was provided with a new set of uniforms and instruments by the MinersWelfare. For the next twenty years or so the Band was conducted by Stan O Connor and it was competing in the 2nd Section. From 1977 to 1989 the Band was known as Dodworth Colliery Band. By 1989 a sponsorship deal had meant another name change and the Band became the British Steel Stainless Dodworth Brass Band. Under conductor Graham O Connor the Band progressed to the Championship Section over the next few years. It was later known as the Avesta Sheffield (Dodworth) Brass Band and subsequently after a change in sponsorship the JWE Mobile Phone (Dodworth) Band.























Sadly, in 1996 the Band lost its sponsorship and folded. The band was reformed in 1997 as a youth band by a longstanding bandsman and resident of Dodworth, Eric Jessop, and was known as the Dodworth Miners Welfare Phoenix Youth Band. The Phoenix Band grew over the following few years and gradually attracted back some of the former Dodworth players. Eric Jessop resigned from the Band in 2004 and a new conductor, Eliot Darwin was appointed.


CONTINUED 



MORE PHOTOS
 
 





For the next twenty years or so the Band was conducted by Stan O Connor and it was competing in the 2nd Section. From 1977 to 1989 the Band was known as Dodworth Colliery Band. By 1989 a sponsorship deal had meant another name change and the Band became the British Steel Stainless Dodworth Brass Band. Under conductor Graham O Connor the Band progressed to the Championship Section over the next few years. It was later known as the Avesta Sheffield (Dodworth) Brass Band and subsequently after a change in sponsorship the JWE Mobile Phone (Dodworth) Band.
 

 
        
  Site Map